The soft tissue that covers the jaw bones and surrounds the teeth is called the gums, and healthy gums are strong and tight and pink in color, so when the condition of the gums and their characteristics such as swelling and swelling change, the color of the gums changes to red or purple, bleeding from the gums occurs when brushing the teeth, and the gums recede and the teeth are exposed, so these are symptoms of inflammation Gums, and with the passage of time, gingivitis leads to bad breath, and there are two types of gingivitis, the first type occurs as a result of the accumulation of plaque or tartar , and the use of some medicines or malnutrition , while the second type occurs as a result of a bacterial, viral or fungal infection, or As a complication of some diseases, inflammation can occur as a reaction from the body to a foreign body such as dentures. Therefore, gingivitis and bad breath should be recognized.
It is not a disease but rather it is the result of another cause, as 25% of people suffer from bad breath, which is an annoying condition and sometimes causes embarrassment and psychological stress. There is always a reason for the unpleasant smell emanating from the mouth, smoking is one of the most important causes of bad smell, and eating some foodstuffs such as onions, garlic or cheese and some spices, in addition to a low-carbohydrate diet or fasting from food is one of the causes of bad breath, and the smell does not disappear. Resulting from food except after the body gets rid of the effect and remnants of these foods permanently, and bad mouth cleaning habits and neglect in it lead to the accumulation of food residues and the occurrence of infections such as gingivitis that results in a bad smell in the mouth, and most people who suffer from dry mouthLack of saliva is prone to the appearance of mouth odor, in addition to some diseases that are a cause of bad breath, such as chronic pneumonia, and an unpleasant smell may appear in the mouth as a result of the use of some drug treatments and vitamins and break them down into other chemicals inside the body.
Treating gingivitis and bad breath
The first and most important step in treating gingivitis and bad breath is taking care of oral health and adopting various methods of cleaning teeth to maintain a sterile and healthy oral environment, thus reducing the chances of growth of bacteria and fungi that cause infections, and then it is necessary to visit the doctor to treat gingivitis and bad breath. A breakdown of the methods of treating gingivitis and bad breath comes:
If a person suffers from diseases that cause gingivitis such as diabetes, it must first be controlled and maintained within its normal rates. Smoking must be stopped and then treatment begins, and gums are treated in one of the following ways :
- Teeth cleaning: It is by using different techniques for deep cleaning of the teeth, all of which aim to remove tartar and plaque irritating the gums, there is a way to remove tartar from the areas near the gums, and a second way to clean the tartar that has reached the roots of the teeth due to periodontal pockets, and recently some dentists use lasers to remove tartar Teeth cleaning is less painful and the resulting bleeding is less.
- Medicinal treatments: Antibiotics are the most important medicines used, so when gingivitis spreads, the patient uses an antibiotic for a sufficient period of time, and the doctor may use topical antibiotics after dental cleaning procedures, and the use of mouthwash that contains chlorhexidine is necessary to sterilize the mouth.
- Surgery: The doctor resorts to surgical solutions in very advanced cases, which result in a significant retraction of the gums, and major damage to the teeth and jaw bones, as the doctor works to smooth the surface of the teeth, fill pits and voids, and flatten uneven surfaces to reduce the chances of the accumulation of tartar and plaque. Others, such as gum withdrawal and exposure of teeth, are implanted tissues from the roof of the throat to support the affected teeth and gums, and it is worth noting that there is a modern technique called tissue engineering that stimulates the damaged bones and tissues to renew themselves quickly.
Treat bad breath
It is not difficult to treat bad breath and get rid of it. With simple steps and commitment, the mouth returns to its state of health, so that the person enjoys a fresh breath and returns to him his self-confidence and practices his life normally, and getting rid of bad breath is as follows :
- Clean the teeth, gums and tongue well with a toothpaste fortified with fluoride, and make sure to clean the borders of the gum and the teeth.
- Use dental floss to get rid of food debris that the brush does not reach.
- Use a sterile mouthwash twice daily.
- Pay attention to the food that is being eaten, and it is better to stay away from food and drinks that cause bad smell, and plenty of vegetables and fruits, in addition to drinking adequate amounts of water.
- Use sugar-free throat lozenges with a scenting scent, such as sugar-free mint candy.
- Make sure to clean the dentures if a person uses one, as they must be placed in their sterilization solution overnight.
- And in the case of orthodontics, special care and cleaning must be done regularly, as the doctor recommends.
Oral disease prevention
After talking in detail about some oral diseases, namely gingivitis and bad breath, it is necessary to follow the golden rule in everything that is prevention to avoid the occurrence of infection, because previous oral diseases have a great impact on a person’s social and work life and his self-confidence in addition to health damages That may occur as a result of that, and these are the most important global methods used to prevent oral diseases and avoid the need to treat gingivitis and bad breath :
- It is very important to maintain regular visits to the dentist for a general examination and a deep cleaning of the teeth.
- Replace the toothbrush periodically every 3 or 4 months.
- Not to neglect the tongue and the need to clean it well.
- A pregnant woman is more susceptible to oral diseases due to what she goes through during this period, so she must maintain preventive methods to avoid the need to treat gingivitis and bad breath.